* 1 1/2 pounds extra fatty pork shoulder, cut and trimmed
* 1/2 pounds ground beef
* 1 ounce salt
* 2 1/2 ounces nonfat dry milk powder
* 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
* 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
* 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
* 1 cold whole egg, beaten
* 1/2 cup cream
* 1/4 pound cheddar cheese, diced small
* 1-2 teaspoons oil
* 4 slices cheddar cheese
Ingredients (sandwich, per person):
* 2 pieces marble rye bread, toasted and buttered
* 2 oounces yellow onions, grilled
* 1 6-ounce bratwurst patty
* Deli mustard, to taste
1. With a knife, dice to medium size fatty pork shoulder and ground beef.
2. Season with dry spices and dry milk.
3. Grind through a medium die meat grinder
1. Ask butcher to grind extra fatty pork shoulder.
2. Mix ground pork shoulder and ground beef with all dry spices and dry milk by hand or with a stand mixer.
3. Using a paddle attachment, mix egg and cream mixture into meat mixture.
4. Fold in cheddar cheese.
5. With hands, portion into 6-ounce patties.
6. In a cast-iron pan or griddle, cook patties on medium heat in oil for 3-4 minutes.
7. Flip over, and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
8. When patties are almost done cooking (around 2 ½ minutes), add a slice of cheddar cheese (or shredded) on top of each patty.
9. Melt cheese by using a lid (or another pan) to cover.
10. When cheese is completely melted and patties are cooked through, remove and put to the side.
1. Butter one side of each slice of bread.
2. Toast in cast-iron pan or griddle at medium heat until it turns golden brown, remove and set aside.
3. Cut onions into ¼-inch thick, round slices.
4. Grill onions on high heat with salt, pepper and oil, for about 3 minutes.
5. Place in a bowl and wrap with plastic wrap. (They will continue cooking.)
6. Spread deli mustard on non-buttered side of each slice of marbled rye bread.
7. Stack patty, add onion and top with other slice of bread.