* 2 ounces unsweetened baker’s chocolate, chopped
* 2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
* 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, sliced into 1/2 inch slices
* 2 cups sugar
* 1 cup white flour
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* pinch of salt
* 1/2 stick of unsalted butter
* 1 cup brown sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
* 1/2 cup whole milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Place the butter and chocolate in a medium-size bowl.
3. Microwave until melted, a few minutes at a time.
4. Stir to fully combine.
5. Stir in the sugar, flour, vanilla and salt until combined.
6. Grease an 8” x 8” pan, or line it with parchment paper.
7. Add batter to the pan.
8. Place pan in the oven on the middle rack for 35-40 minutes (should bake until moist on a toothpick, but not liquidy).
9. Combine sauce ingredients in a heavy-bottomed sauce pan.
10. Heat up ingredients until they reach a low boil.
11. Keep stirring for about 10-15 minutes or until the sauce begins to thicken (enough so that you can see the bottom of the pan when you scrape a spoon across it).
12. Add a pinch of salt and stir until incorporated.
13. Set aside sauce to cool.
14. Remove brownies from the oven.
15. Set aside brownies until slightly cooled, about 10-15 minutes.
16. Pour the caramel sauce on top of the brownies and spread to fully cover.
17. Refrigerate or eat warm.
Find more tasty recipes for your next tailgate.
Alma Schneider is a licensed Clinical Social Worker helping individuals overcome their psychological and practical obstacles to cooking and parenting on her blog and consulting business, Take Back the Kitchen. She is a native New Yorker transplanted to the suburbs with her husband, four children and loving yet stubborn Beagle Shiloh.