* 1 butternut squash
* 2 medium-size beets
* 6 cups arugula, washed and dried (or pre-washed from supermarket)
* Olive oil
* Balsamic vinegar
* 2-4 tablespoons shelled pistachios
1. Halve the squash and remove the pits.
2. Peel and dice the beets.
3. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
4. Roast squash and beets on middle rack of your oven at 400 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until both are fork tender.
5. Dice the squash when cool. (Note: Extra squash can be saved for soups, salads and other dishes throughout the week.)
6. Place prepared greens in a bowl.
7. Add 1 cup squash and 1 cup beets and gently combine.
8. Drizzle with olive oil and vinegar and toss gently.
9. Add salt and pepper to taste.
10. Top with pistachios.
Find more tasty recipes for your next tailgate.
Alma Schneider is a licensed Clinical Social Worker helping individuals overcome their psychological and practical obstacles to cooking and parenting on her blog and consulting business, Take Back the Kitchen. She is a native New Yorker transplanted to the suburbs with her husband, four children and loving yet stubborn Beagle Shiloh.