* 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 leek or 1 large onion, chopped
* 3/4 cup peppers (any color), chopped
* 8 ounces chopped hamburger meat (or cashews for vegetarian)
* 3/4 cup frozen sweet corn
* 3/4 cup frozen peas
* 3 cups cooked rice
* 1 teaspoon smoked spicy paprika
* 1/4-1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
* 3/4 cup golden raisins
* 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
* 6 large peppers, tops removed, seeded and rinsed out
1. In a large non-stick frying pan, heat olive oil over medium heat.
2. When hot, add leeks or onions.
3. Saute until wilted, about 5 minutes, stirring all the while.
4. Add in the peppers and stir for a couple more minutes.
5. Add in chopped meat and stir until cooked through.
6. Add in corn and peas and stir.
7. Add in the cooked rice and stir.
8. Add in paprika and salt and stir
9. Add in raisins and stir to combine.
10. Add in one cup shredded cheese (if desired) and stir.
11. Stuff as much filling in as you can into each pepper.
12. Line them up so they stand up in a casserole dish.
13. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.
14. Remove from oven and eat hot.
Find more tasty recipes for your next tailgate.
Alma Schneider is a licensed Clinical Social Worker helping individuals overcome their psychological and practical obstacles to cooking and parenting on her blog and consulting business, Take Back the Kitchen. She is a native New Yorker transplanted to the suburbs with her husband, four children and loving yet stubborn Beagle Shiloh.