* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 2 medium-sized onions, chopped
* 4 scallions, chopped
* 2-3 large cloves garlic, minced
* 1/2 teaspoon of salt
* 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
* 3 medium-sized carrots, diced
* 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
* 1-2 tablespoons chipotle pepper sauce from a can of chipotle peppers in Adobo sauce (it’s spicy, so start with less)
* 2 cups dried green lentils
* 1/2 pound of pork or turkey sausage, diced
1. In a big pot over medium flame, heat up olive oil.
2. Add chopped onions, scallions, garlic and spices.
3. Saute until vegetables are wilted.
4. Add the carrots and cook for a few minutes.
5. Add in broth, chipotle sauce, lentils and sausage.
6. Bring to a boil.
7. Reduce to a simmer.
8. Leave uncovered for about 20-30 minutes or until lentils are tender.
Enjoy with some crusty bread!
Find more tasty recipes for your next tailgate.
Alma Schneider is a licensed Clinical Social Worker helping individuals overcome their psychological and practical obstacles to cooking and parenting on her blog and consulting business, Take Back the Kitchen. She is a native New Yorker transplanted to the suburbs with her husband, four children and loving yet stubborn Beagle Shiloh.