* 2 pounds bratwurst links
* 1 stick butter
* 1 large onion, sliced
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 1 teaspoon of salt
* 1 teaspoon of pepper
* 4 garlic cloves, minced
* 2 (12-ounce) cans of beer
* 12 small, crusty hoagie rolls
* Whole-grain mustard
* Dill pickle spears
1. Prepare the grill for a medium-hot fire.
2. Place the bratwurst on the grill for four to five minutes, turning occasionally until evenly charred.
3. Put the butter, onions, olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic in a medium disposable foil roasting pan.
4. Place the pan on the grill and cook until the butter melts.
5. Transfer the bratwurst into the onion mixture.
6. Pour in the beers.
7. Allow the brats to braise in the mixture for 10-15 minutes.
8. Use tongs to place the bratwurst and onions in the rolls.
9. Serve with the whole-grain mustard and pickle spears.
Find more tasty recipes for your next tailgate.
Chef Frank (Frank Sauer) started his cooking career by the age of 16 making pizzas and washing dishes at local restaurants. Throughout high school and college he developed his skills with a focus on French and American cuisines. By the age of 21 he started working full time as an Executive Chef at Sierra Food Service. Career highlights included serving at The Netherland Club in NYC and the AT&T world headquarters executive dining. After many years cooking, he began catering and consulting for the independent film industry, credits include the movies “Ten Benny” and “Restaurant.”