* 8 cups of water
* 16 oz box of instant grits
* 3/4 stick of unsalted butter
* 1 pound shrimp
* 1 clove of garlic
* 1 basil leaf
* Juice of 1 lemon
* 1/4 cup scallions
* 1/3 cup parsley
* 1/2 cup olive oil
* Salt and pepper to taste
* 1/4 cup cheddar cheese
* 2 strips of bacon
* 1 tablespoon scallions
1. Boil pot of water.
2. Add instant grits.
3. Cook grits for 5-6 minutes.
4. Stir and reduce heat.
5. Once the grits are cooked, mix in butter.
1. In a large mixing bowl, add chopped garlic, scallions, parsley and basil.
2. Stir in olive oil, salt, pepper and lemon juice.
3. Add shrimp and coat thoroughly.
4. Leave to rest for 20-30 minutes.
1. Soak wooden skewers in water for 15 minutes (to ensure they don’t burn on the grill).
2. Skewer 5 shrimp per stick.
3. Leave space at each end of the skewer for you to grab.
4. Season the grill with olive oil.
5. Over a high heat, add the shrimp skewers for 3 minutes a side. (The shrimp’s tail will begin to turn pink when it’s time to flip.)
6. Serve in a large bowl with buttery grits.
7. Garnish with chopped bacon, cheddar cheese and scallions.
Find more tasty recipes for your next tailgate.
Chef Frank (Frank Sauer) started his cooking career by the age of 16 making pizzas and washing dishes at local restaurants. Throughout high school and college he developed his skills with a focus on French and American cuisines. By the age of 21 he started working full time as an Executive Chef at Sierra Food Service. Career highlights included serving at The Netherland Club in NYC and the AT&T world headquarters executive dining. After many years cooking, he began catering and consulting for the independent film industry, credits include the movies “Ten Benny” and “Restaurant.”