Tailgating food tends to center around the grill… and for good reason. Who wants to stand out there on that hard pavement before a football game for anything less than meat forged by fire? But between the grill and the plate, there are so many different directions to go.
As always, Tailgate Fan has plenty of delicious ideas for your next parking lot party. (Would you expect anything less from us?) This week’s recipe is for grilled skirt steak wraps smothered in cilantro lime sauce. So dig in…
* 1 pound skirt steak
* Olive oil
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
* Salt and pepper
* 1/2 cup olive oil
* 1/2 cup loosely packed cilantro
* 1 teaspoon chopped, seeded jalapeno
* juice of one lime
* 2 teaspoons mayonnaise
* Pinch of salt
* 4 white or whole wheat flour tortillas
* 3 cups lettuce
* 1 peeled carrot, grated
1. Brush steak with olive oil.
2. Sprinkle steak with cumin, salt and pepper.
3. Grill steak over high heat for at least 3-4 minutes per side until desired doneness.
4. Set aside for five minutes.
5. Thinly slice against the grain.
6. Puree all sauce ingredients in a blender until smooth.
7. Lay out tortillas and spread on cilantro sauce.
8. Pile on steak, lettuce and carrots.
9. Roll up the wrap.
Find more tasty recipes for your next tailgate.
Alma Schneider is a licensed Clinical Social Worker helping individuals overcome their psychological and practical obstacles to cooking and parenting on her blog and consulting business, Take Back the Kitchen. She is a native New Yorker transplanted to the suburbs with her husband, four children and loving yet stubborn Beagle Shiloh.