It’s getting on toward football season. Division 1 starts tomorrow night with a handful of games, and the NFL gets underway in a week with Super Bowl champion Ravens heading out to Denver. This is the real meat of every tailgater’s calendar.
So let’s get to the meat of the menu.
Tailgate Fan is spicing up your hamburger this week with a cilantro pesto mayonnaise. It may seem like a little thing… a topping on a burger. But let us assure you, it is absolutely a big deal.
* 1 pound of good ground beef (preferably grass-fed), formed into 4 patties
* 1 cup raw cashews (or other nuts)
* 1 cup packed cilantro, washed
* 1 teaspoon honey
* Juice of 1 lemon
* 1 tablespoon almond flour or ground almonds
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/3 cup mayonnaise
1. Puree everything except ground beef and mayonnaise in a food processor.
2. Mix desired amount of the pesto (about 2 tablespoons) into the mayo.
3. Put the rest of the pesto in the refrigerator for later, or freeze it.
4. Grill burgers as desired.
5. Top with pesto mayo and serve with tomato, lettuce and buns.
Makes 4 burgers
Find more tasty recipes for your next tailgate.
Alma Schneider is a licensed Clinical Social Worker helping individuals overcome their psychological and practical obstacles to cooking and parenting on her blog and consulting business, Take Back the Kitchen. She is a native New Yorker transplanted to the suburbs with her husband, four children and loving yet stubborn Beagle Shiloh.