Sausage is one of the premiere tailgating foods, found in parking lots far and wide. We at Tailgate Fan would put it up against ribs, brisket and burgers any day of the week, and twice on Sunday.
So why are we messing with it? Because, you know, we can. This week’s recipe combines a couple of tailgate staples into something new and delicious. Of course a grill is involved.
Let’s see what happens when apple sausage meets honey mustard sauce.
* 4 pork or chicken apple sausages
* 1 tablespoon honey
* 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
* 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, minced
* 1 teaspoon lemon juice
1. Grill the sausages until heated or cooked through (if raw).
2. Slice the sausages into 1/2-inch slices.
1. Mix sauce ingredients until fully combined.
2. Drizzle sauce over hot sausage slices and serve with forks or toothpicks.
Find more tasty recipes for your next tailgate.
Alma Schneider is a licensed Clinical Social Worker helping individuals overcome their psychological and practical obstacles to cooking and parenting on her blog and consulting business, Take Back the Kitchen. She is a native New Yorker transplanted to the suburbs with her husband, four children and loving yet stubborn Beagle Shiloh.