Variety is the spice of life, and it can spice up your next tailgate as well. To broaden your tailgating horizons, Tailgate Fan is exploring options far beyond the typical parking lot fare. So fasten your seat belts.
This week we jet off southeast Asia, or at least bring a taste of it to our side of the world. Thai chicken curry isn’t your typical tailgating staple. But there’s no reason it can’t offer a little change of pace.
Here’s to a little exploration…
* 3 tablespoons green Thai curry paste (available at many supermarkets or any Asian food store)
* 3 cans coconut milk (not light coconut milk)
* 4 tablespoons fish sauce (available at many supermarkets or any Asian food store)
* 1/3 cup brown sugar
* 1 lime, zested and juiced (dont forget to zest it first and freeze the zest!)
* 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth, or water
* 2 cups of fresh basil
* 1 pound chicken, cubed
* 1 large potato, steamed and cut into 1/2″ chunks
* 2 cups red and/or green peppers (substitute another vegetable if you like)
* 1-2 cups sliced mushrooms (substitute another vegetable if you like)
* Optional garnishes: chopped cilantro, chopped cashews or peanuts, toasted coconut
1. Add green curry paste to a large pot (like a pasta pot) over medium heat.
2. Stir it around for a minute.
3. Add in coconut milk, potatoes, fish sauce, brown sugar, lime juice and broth.
4. Boil and stir until it starts to reduce a little (gets thicker, about 15 minutes).
5. When it reaches the desired thickness, add the basil and chicken.
6. After chicken is cooked for about 5 minutes, add the peppers and mushrooms.
7. Serve over rice with accompanying garnishes.
Find more tasty recipes for your next tailgate.