Don’t skimp on the dips. Tailgaters often have their eyes on the main course, be it grilled meat or, uh, some other grilled meat. But the appetizer is what gets your stomach primed and ready to go. And it should never ever be overlooked.
Tailgate Fan has a doozie of a dip this week. This hearty chutney and nut dip pulls in a range of flavors from sweet to spicy. But be careful not to fill up.
* 8 ounces Philadelphia Brand firm cream cheese
* 2 scallions, thinly sliced into rings
* 1 teaspoon curry powder, more to taste
* 1/4 teaspoon mustard powder
* 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons pineapple chutney, mango chutney or orange marmalade (or any kind of sweet preserves)
* 3/4 cup chopped almonds (or sliced almonds or any other kind of chopped nut)
* 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
* 1/3 cup sesame seeds, toasted
1. In a medium size glass bowl, microwave the cream cheese so that it is a little soft (NOT liquid-y).
2. Stir in all the ingredients except for the sesame seeds until they are well combined.
3. Plop the cream cheese mixture onto wax paper.
4. Form the mixture into a log or a ball.
5. Place in the fridge until it firms up, maybe an hour.
6. Once it is firm, roll the molded dip in the sesame seeds. (Note: If you prefer, just leave in the bowl and sprinkle with sesame seeds.)
7. Serve with a spreader and put on crackers, pita or bagel chips. Use leftovers as a spread on bagels or in sandwiches.
Find more tasty recipes for your next tailgate.