The July 4th holiday weekend starts tomorrow. And for many of us, that means a nice little summer respite, filled with sunblock and barbeques.
Let’s just assume hotdogs, the quintessential summer cookout food, are on the menu. But have you ever thought to incorporate them into other parts of the meal? Tailgate Fan has. Read on.
* 4 beef, turkey, chicken or tofu hot dogs, chopped up
* 1 cup stone-ground cornmeal
* 1 cup unbleached flour
* 1/3 cup sugar
* 2 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1 cup skim milk
* 6 tablespoons melted butter (Note: keep 2 more teaspoons separate for greasing tins.)
* 1/3 cup honey
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine all dry ingredients in one bowl.
3. Combine all wet ingredients in another bowl.
4. Mix the dry and wet ingredients and stir until fully combined.
5. Grease a 12-cup muffin tin with the 2 teaspoons of melted butter (Note: use a brush or wet a napkin.)
6. Divide the batter evenly among the 12 tins.
7. Divide the cut-up hot dogs equally and push them under the surface of the batter.
8. Bake for 20 minutes, until a toothpick, pushed into the center of the muffin, comes out clean.
9. Serve hot.
Find more tasty recipes for your next tailgate.
Alma Schneider is a licensed Clinical Social Worker helping individuals overcome their psychological and practical obstacles to cooking and parenting on her blog and consulting business, Take Back the Kitchen. She is a native New Yorker transplanted to the suburbs with her husband, four children and loving yet stubborn Beagle Shiloh.