Take it from someone with a serious sweet tooth: no meal is complete without a scrumptious dessert. And what is a tailgate, if not a long, leisurely meal? So don’t ever skimp on the final course.
Tailgate Fan has another delicious entry in the dessert department: jam shortbread bars. We’ll pause here until you stop salivating. All good? Okay, here’s how you make them.
* 1 cup flour
* 1/2 cup powdered sugar
* 1 stick softened butter
* 3/4 cup jam of your liking
* 1 cup chocolate chips
1. Cream butter, sugar and flour together until fully combined into dough.
2. Take 1/2 of dough and lay in a parchment paper-lined bread loaf pan.
3. Top evenly with the jam to cover entire surface of dough.
4. Top with remaining dough to cover jam fully and press down.
5. Bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes or until top starts to turn golden brown.
6. Remove from oven, add chocolate chips to top the dough evenly.
7. Place back in oven for 2 minutes.
8. Remove from oven, spread chips with a knife so they frost the top of the shortbread.
9. Let it cool.
10. When cool, slice through into pieces and place in the fridge until the chocolate hardens
Find more tasty recipes for your next tailgate.
Alma Schneider is a licensed Clinical Social Worker helping individuals overcome their psychological and practical obstacles to cooking and parenting on her blog and consulting business, Take Back the Kitchen. She is a native New Yorker transplanted to the suburbs with her husband, four children and loving yet stubborn Beagle Shiloh.