Now that you’ve taken off all that weight for bathing suit season, it’s time to put it back on. Might as well enjoy it, right? Tailgate Fan can help.
As every tailgater knows, there’s always room for dessert. Let these peanut butter bars with chocolate lime frosting cap off your next summer outing. Pack them for that picnic in the park. Stow them for that summer concert.
Here’s how to make them
Ingredients (first layer):
* 2 sticks of butter, melted
* 1 1/2 packages of graham crackers, crushed in a food processor (about 2 cups when crushed)
* 1 1/4 cups smooth, creamy peanut butter
* 2 cups powdered sugar
* 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
* 2 tablespoons coconut oil
* 1/8 – 1/4 teaspoon ground chili pepper (depends on your tolerance for heat)
* Zest of 2 limes, more if you really like lime flavor
1. Put all of the first layer ingredients in a big bowl.
2. Mix until fully combined.
3. Press mixture into a 9″ X 13″ pan and set aside.
4. In a double boiler or a stainless steel bowl over boiling water, melt chocolate chips with the coconut oil and the chili pepper.
5. Stir mixture until all is melted and combined.
6. With a spatula, spread the chocolate mixture onto the peanut bars.
7. Sprinkle the lime zest and more chili pepper (if you really like the heat) over the chocolate layer.
8. Refrigerate until chocolate is hard.
9. Add a little more freshly zested lime on top RIGHT before you serve.
Find more tasty recipes for your next tailgate.
Alma Schneider is a licensed Clinical Social Worker helping individuals overcome their psychological and practical obstacles to cooking and parenting on her blog and consulting business, Take Back the Kitchen. She is a native New Yorker transplanted to the suburbs with her husband, four children and loving yet stubborn Beagle Shiloh.