Summer, and the summer grilling season, is here. Memorial Day weekend is the unofficial start of summer. So it’s time to dust off the deck chairs, open up the sun umbrellas and fire up the grill. But what should you make for the first cookout? How about a new twist on an old favorite?
Tailgate Fan has just the thing to add a little kick to your picnic: burgers topped with beet horseradish sauce. We’ll pause here to let you salivate… let us know when you’re ready.
Okay, here’s how you make them:
* 16 ounces ground sirloin
* 4 buns of your choice
* Lettuce, tomatoes and sliced onion (Note: toppings optional)
* 1/4 cup mayonnaise
* 1/4 cup sour cream
* 4 teaspoons prepared horseradish
* 4 – 5 tablespoons pureed beets (Note: can use canned beets, pureed in food processor or one small, cooked beet, pureed)
1. Mix together all the sauce ingredients in a small bowl until combined.
2. Chill sauce in the fridge.
3. Heat up the grill.
4. Divide beef into 4 patties and set aside on plate.
5. When grill is hot, grill burgers as desired.
6. When mostly cooked to your liking, flip each burger and cook for just a minute or two on the other side.
7. Place cooked burgers on buns and top with the sauce and other fixings.
Find more tasty recipes for your next tailgate.
Alma Schneider is a licensed Clinical Social Worker helping individuals overcome their psychological and practical obstacles to cooking and parenting on her blog and consulting business, Take Back the Kitchen. She is a native New Yorker transplanted to the suburbs with her husband, four children and loving yet stubborn Beagle Shiloh.