Phew! That name is a mouthful, isn’t it! (See what we did there? Not a literal mouthful but… oh, you get the point). But taste is what really matters, when you’re cooking up grub for a tailgate.
Tailgate Fan has another recipe to spice up your party. And don’t let the word “salad’ fool you. This hearty dish — served chilled — is the perfect side for that summer tailgate. Take the festivities out to the parking lot or keep it in the backyard. Eat this salad with a juicy steak, or go light. You’re covered either way.
Let’s get to it, shall we?
* 6 -8 cups of dark leafy greens, washed and dried
* 1/2 cup medium-size chilled shrimp, cooked and peeled
* 1/2 avocado, peeled and diced
* 2 tablespoons cashew halves
* 1 clementine, sectioned
* 1 small garlic clove, minced
* 1/2 cup mayonnaise
* 1/4 cup Greek yogurt or sour cream
* 1/2 cup buttermilk
* 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
* 1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika
* 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
* 1 pinch of Kosher salt
1. Chill shrimp.
2. Combine salad ingredients.
1. Combine all dressing ingredients in a separate bowl.
2. Mix until smooth.
3. Refrigerate until ready to use.
4. Add to salad and serve.
Find more tasty recipes for your next tailgate.
Alma Schneider is a licensed Clinical Social Worker helping individuals overcome their psychological and practical obstacles to cooking and parenting on her blog and consulting business, Take Back the Kitchen. She is a native New Yorker transplanted to the suburbs with her husband, four children and loving yet stubborn Beagle Shiloh.