We know what you’re thinking… the fine folks at Tailgate Fan have lost their collective minds. There’s no way that deviled eggs should ever be part of a tailgate, or eggs period for that matter. Give us meat, piled high and topped with more meat.
Normally we would agree, but not this week. The Kentucky Derby — The Run for the Roses — is this Saturday. So we need to class up the joint a little in the spirit of splendor and tradition. A recipe for deviled egg dip does the trick. And it’s well worth the quizzical looks from friends and guests. Make them have a taste. The scowls will turn to smiles.
* 6 hard-boiled eggs
* 1/3 – 1/2 cup mayonnaise, depending on how rich you want it
* 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
* 1-2 small cloves garlic, pressed through a garlic press
* 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Put eggs in a pot and cover with water.
2. Bring water and eggs to a boil.
3. Turn off heat and leave for 10 minutes.
4. Run cold water over the eggs and peel.
5. Purée all ingredients in a food processor until creamy.
Alma Schneider is a licensed Clinical Social Worker helping individuals overcome their psychological and practical obstacles to cooking and parenting on her blog and consulting business, Take Back the Kitchen. She is a native New Yorker transplanted to the suburbs with her husband, four children and loving yet stubborn Beagle Shiloh.