Tired of the traditional tailgate foodstuffs? Wings, ribs, steak… all of that is fine and good. But what about something that’s sweet and spicy and cheesy all in one? It’s time to focus on the sides, which can push your tailgate over the top.
Tailgate fan introduces jalapeno cheddar cornbread. Well, the recipe at least. (Take a second to calm your tastebuds.) It’s quick and easy to make and the perfect complement to all that meat. And by easy we mean really easy. Mix a bunch of stuff together and toss it in the oven… done and done.
Let’s get started.
* 1 cup stone-ground cornmeal
* 1 cup unbleached flour
* 1/3 cup sugar
* 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1 cup whole milk
* 6 tablespoons butter (or 4 tablespoons coconut oil)
* 1 cup of fresh or frozen and thawed corn
* 1/3 cup maple syrup
* 1/2 minced jalapeno pepper with or without seeds, sauteed until wilted in a bit of olive oil
* 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Melt the butter.
3. Sauté the corn until all the moisture is gone.
4. Combine all ingredients in an 8″ X 8″ pan.
5. Bake for about 25 minutes or until knife comes out clean.
Find more tasty recipes for your next tailgate.
Alma Schneider is a licensed Clinical Social Worker helping individuals overcome their psychological and practical obstacles to cooking and parenting on her blog and consulting business, Take Back the Kitchen. She is a native New Yorker transplanted to the suburbs with her husband, four children and loving yet stubborn Beagle Shiloh.