Photo Credit: Alma Schneider
We had you at bacon… just admit it. Every great tailgate needs something grilled with bacon; ask any experienced tailgater. In fact, we here at Tailgate Fan are pretty sure it’s become common law in parking lots all over this great tailgating nation of ours.
These tasty little treats are just as fun to make as they are to eat. And that’s really saying something given that bacon is a key ingredient. Bacon-wrapped jalapenos are the perfect finger food for watching the big game from the stadium or the living room couch. Did I mention they’re INSANELY DELICIOUS? Add them to your game-day menu. Here’s how…
* 10 jalapenos
* Approx. 8 ounces of cheese of your choice, shredded (queso fresco works well)
* 10 slices of bacon (you can use tofu bacon, turkey bacon or the real, porky kind)
1. Grill the jalapenos until the skin bubbles and starts to char.
2. Remove them from the heat and let them cool down.
3. Slice the jalapenos lengthwise. Be careful NOT to slice all the way through the peppers.
4. Remove the seeds with the spoon. Be careful NOT to touch the seeds because your hands may burn a little from their heat.
5. Stuff about 2 teaspoons of the cheese (or as much as you can fit) in the peppers.
6. Wrap a slice of bacon around the stuffed jalapeno so the cheese stays inside.
7. Lay down the peppers with the seam side of the bacon. Stick a tooth pick in each one so it stays put.
8. Grill on an indoor or outdoor grill until the bacon is crispy and serve. YUM!!!
Find more tasty recipes for your next tailgate.
Visit Gridiron Grub for additional tailgating treats.
Alma Schneider is a licensed Clinical Social Worker helping individuals overcome their psychological and practical obstacles to cooking and parenting on her blog and consulting business, Take Back the Kitchen. She is a native New Yorker transplanted to the suburbs with her husband, four children and loving yet stubborn Beagle Shiloh.