Photo Credit: Alma Schneider
Tailgating is all about grilling (and beer) and more grilling (and more beer). If nothing else, Tailgate Fan has taught you this. But there’s plenty of room on the grill to experiment and get imaginative.
These spicy kebabs are one option. They’re the perfect finger food for hungry guests looking for something a little lighter but no less delicious.
* 2 ripe mangoes, peeled and cut into one-inch cubes
* 2 8″ kielbasa links (or precooked sausage of your choice), cut into one-inch chunks
* 1/3 to 1/2 pound of medium shrimp (about 20-25 shrimp), peeled and deveined
(Note: to remove the black slimy vein, slice down the back and pull it out)
* 1/4 cup jarred mango chutney
* Cajun seasoning (like Slap Ya Mama)
* 6″ or 12″ wooden bamboo skewers
1. Soak wooden bamboo skewers in water for a few minutes.
2. Place a piece of sausage on skewer, followed by chunks of mango and peeled shrimp.
3. Repeat process until all skewers are done.
4. Use a pastry brush or silicone brush to brush kebabs with mango chutney.
5. Sprinkle with desired amount of Cajun seasoning.
6. Grill on each side until the shrimp is cooked through, opaque and pink.
7. Serve and enjoy!
Find more tasty recipes for your next tailgate.
Visit Gridiron Grub for additional tailgating treats.
Alma Schneider is a licensed Clinical Social Worker helping individuals overcome their psychological and practical obstacles to cooking and parenting on her blog and consulting business, Take Back the Kitchen. She is a native New Yorker transplanted to the suburbs with her husband, four children and loving yet stubborn Beagle Shiloh.