The weather is turning, and you need a little something extra to keep you warm out there in that cold, cold parking lot. Tailgate Fan has got you extra covered. This fool-proof chili recipe is so tasty you’ll forget where you are and why you came. Okay, so we exaggerate, but only slightly.
This chili is perfect for those late-season game days when football really takes a backseat to tailgating. Check it out.
* 1 pound ground beef (or turkey)
* 2 14-ounce cans drained kidney beans
* 2 14-ounce cans diced tomatoes
* 1 cup corn, canned or frozen but thawed out
* 1 large onion, chopped
* 1 large carrot, chopped
* 1 celery stalk, chopped
* Olive oil for cooking
* Grated cheese for topping
* 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
* 3 teaspoons cumin
* 2 teaspoons salt
* 2 teaspoons pepper
* 2 teaspoons paprika
* 2 teaspoons turmeric
* 2 teaspoons oregano
1. Saute the onion in a teaspoon of olive oil in a big pot or Dutch oven until onion is translucent.
2. Add in all the spices and saute for a minute until fragrant.
3. Stir in the broken up ground meat.
4. Cook meat until it starts to darken and absorb the seasonings.
5. Add in the beans, tomatoes, corn, carrots and celery.
6. Simmer over a low flame for 40 minutes to an hour.
7. Keep checking to see if you need to add a little water to keep from burning.
8. Top with grated or sliced cheddar cheese or any other cheese you like and serve. Enjoy!
Find more tasty recipes for your next tailgate.
Visit Gridiron Grub for additional tailgating treats.
Alma Schneider is a licensed Clinical Social Worker helping individuals overcome their psychological and practical obstacles to cooking and parenting on her blog and consulting business, Take Back the Kitchen. She is a native New Yorker transplanted to the suburbs with her husband, four children and loving yet stubborn Beagle Shiloh.