Want to add a zingy, crunchy, spicy attraction to your tailgate? Try these nuts, and I promise you and your guests will be addicted — they’re THAT good!
* 6 tablespoons butter
* 1 cup brown sugar
* 1/4 cup water
* 6 cups shelled pecans
Ingredients (Spicy Mixture):
* 1 tablespoon chili powder
* 1 teaspoon ground cumin
* 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon dried oregano
* 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
* 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Lay out parchment paper on a large-rimmed baking sheet.
2. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
3. Add all the spices, brown sugar and water and stir until the sugar dissolves, a couple of minutes.
4. Once the mixture becomes syrupy, add the pecans and stir until the pecans are coated with the delicious syrupy mixture.
5. Spread the nuts on the parchment paper-lined baking tray in a single layer.
6. Bake about 20 minutes or until the nuts are starting to turn brown. Keep checking to make sure they’re not burning!
7. Let them cool completely on the counter
8. Break them apart and put in an airtight container. You can serve these plain or add them to a salad.
Find more tasty recipes for your next tailgate.
Visit Gridiron Grub for additional tailgating treats.
Alma Schneider is a licensed Clinical Social Worker helping individuals overcome their psychological and practical obstacles to cooking and parenting on her blog and consulting business, Take Back the Kitchen. She is a native New Yorker transplanted to the suburbs with her husband, four children and loving yet stubborn Beagle Shiloh.