Photo Credit: Alma Schneider
Can’t choose between pizza and hot dogs? Now you can have both. Isn’t life — and tailgating — just grand? Here’s a satisfying crowd pleaser for even the most discerning of tailgaters.
Ingredients (pizza dough):
* Pre-made dough from pizzeria or supermarket OR
* 1 1/4 cup white or whole wheat flour (add 2 tablespoons more flour later)
* 3/4 teaspoon yeast
* 1/2 cup warm water
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
* 1 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce
* 4-6 no-nitrate beef hot dogs, chopped
* Optional: other pizza ingredients of your choice (chopped basil, crushed garlic, etc.)
1. Mix pizza dough ingredients until fully combined.
2. Knead for five minutes.
3. Add 2 additional tablespoons of flour so that dough isn’t so sticky.
4. Make it into a ball and place in a bowl greased with olive oil.
5. Cover and leave for 1 1/2 hours.
6. When dough has risen (should be about twice the size), roll out to about 12″ X 6″ and lay on a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet OR separate into individual pizzas.
7. Place dough an oven preheated to 500 degrees and bake for eight minutes.
8. Take pizza dough out of the oven once it is baked and spread the cheese on top while it is hot.
9. Add the sauce on top of the cheese and then top with the chopped hot dogs.
10. Place in oven until cheese melts.
11. Cut and eat immediately. Enjoy!
Find more tasty recipes for your next tailgate.
Visit Gridiron Grub for additional tailgating treats.
Alma Schneider is a licensed Clinical Social Worker helping individuals overcome their psychological and practical obstacles to cooking and parenting on her blog and consulting business, Take Back the Kitchen. She is a native New Yorker transplanted to the suburbs with her husband, four children and loving yet stubborn Beagle Shiloh.