Photo Credit: Alma Schneider
Tailgate Fan brings you another new and exciting way to eat meat. That’s what we’re here for. These hearty, cheesy, crunchy (and heavenly) meatloaf appetizers let you take mom’s cooking to the game, or at least to the parking lot outside the game. Top it off with cheddar cheese and crispy bacon for a treat that will melt in your mouth.
With a fork, a toothpick, a napkin or just your bare hands, this savory meatloaf appetizer will kick off your tailgate right. Your guests may just fill up before the other treats are off the grill. Check out the recipe, you won’t be disappointed.
* 2 pounds ground beef (or turkey)
* 2/3 cup sour cream
* 1 cup ketchup plus a little more for the top
* 1 egg
* 1/2 cup breadcrumbs (or panko bread crumbs)
* Large pinch of kosher salt
* 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
* 6 slices of bacon cooked until crisp and crumbled (set aside in small bowl)
1. Fry bacon until crisp.
2. Crumble bacon and set aside in a small bowl.
3. Combine all ingredients except the cheese and bacon in a big bowl.
4. Transfer mixture to an 8″ X 11″ casserole dish.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for one hour.
6. Remove from oven and top with the grated cheese.
7. Place back in the oven for two minutes or until cheese melts.
8. Remove from oven again and top the cheese with the crisp, crumbled bacon.
9. Cut into one or two-inch squares.
10. Serve hot as one or two-inch squares or with toothpicks. Enjoy!
Find more tasty recipes for your next tailgate.
Visit Gridiron Grub for additional tailgating treats.
Alma Schneider is a licensed Clinical Social Worker helping individuals overcome their psychological and practical obstacles to cooking and parenting on her blog and consulting business, Take Back the Kitchen. She is a native New Yorker transplanted to the suburbs with her husband, four children and loving yet stubborn Beagle Shiloh.