Photo Credit: Alma Schneider
A burger is a burger is a burger. But it doesn’t have to be. This tailgating season, how about changing things up a little? This Mexican-style hamburguesa can be made as spicy as you like with just a few more dashes of hot sauce. Enjoy!
* 1 pound ground burger meat, preferably grass-fed
* 4 hamburger buns
* 4 slices of Monterey Jack cheese or a cheese of your choosing
* 1 avocado
* 1/2 onion
* 1 tablespoon sour cream (or fat-free Greek Yogurt)
* 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
* 1 teaspoon chipotle sauce (more if you like it spicy)
1. In a small bowl, mix mayo and sour cream.
2. Add chipotle sauce and set aside.
3. Slice onion thinly into rings.
4. Peel, pit and and slice avocado.
5. Grill burgers a few minutes on each side until cooked to your liking.
6. Add cheese on top of burgers and let sit for a minute to melt.
7. Place burgers on buns, top with chipotle sauce, avocado and onions and enjoy!
Find more tasty recipes for your next tailgate.
Visit Gridiron Grub for additional tailgating treats.
Alma Schneider is a licensed Clinical Social Worker helping individuals overcome their psychological and practical obstacles to cooking and parenting on her blog and consulting business, Take Back the Kitchen. She is a native New Yorker transplanted to the suburbs with her husband, four children and loving yet stubborn Beagle Shiloh.