Fire Roasted Key Lime Guacamole
This recipe puts a tropical spin on traditional guacamole as it uses tart key limes. All ingredients are grilled, including the limes, which adds a nice char and smokiness to the dip. Regular Persian limes can be substituted if key limes are not available.
- 4 HAAS avocados, sliced in halves
- 8 keylimes, sliced in halves
- 3 tblsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 8-10 cherry tomatoes OR 2 small Roma tomatoes
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 jalapenos
- sea salt- to taste
- ground pepper- to taste
- skewers, pre-soak for 20 minutes – for the garlic cloves and cherry tomatoes
- Heat the grill to medium heat, about 350 degrees. Halve the avocados and remove the seeds. Skewer the garlic cloves and cherry tomatoes (no need to skewer if using Roma tomatoes). Grill the avocado, limes, jalapenos, garlic and tomatoes until char marks form.
- Chop the charred avocado into bite-size pieces. Mince the tomatoes, garlic, and jalapeno. Combine all the chopped ingredients in a bowl, next squeeze the juice from the charred limed into the bowl, using your fingers to catch the seeds.
- Stir all ingredients together, and add the cilantro and sea salt and pepper to taste. For extra flavor, add a little lime zest.
- Chill and serve with tortilla chips. This is also excellent as a topping for fish or chicken and on salads.
Robyn Lindars, aka “The Grill Girl”, writes about BBQ and Grilling on her site grillgrrrl.com and hosts Womens Grilling Clinics to encourage women to learn the art of grilling.